Tuesday 18 June 2013

Review: Breathe by Sarah Crossan

 Breathe by Sarah Crossan
  Published by: Greenwillow
  Released: October 2nd, 2012
    Hardcover, 384 pages
Reviewed by Angela
                       
The world has no air. If you want to survive, you pay to breathe. But what if you can't? And what if you think everything could be different? Three teens will leave everything they know behind in Sarah Crossan's gripping and original dystopian teen novel of danger, longing, and glimmering hope that will appeal to fans of Patrick Ness and Veronica Roth.

National Book Award Finalist Kathleen Duey called Breathe "An amazing story! Sit down. Inhale. Now, while you still can." Ever since the Switch, when the oxygen levels plummeted and most of humanity died, the survivors have been protected in glass domes full of manufactured air. Protected . . . or trapped? Or controlled? Alina's a revolutionary who believes we can save the environment. Quinn's a Premium who's never had to worry about having enough air. His best friend, Bea, is an Auxiliary who's never worried about anything but having enough air. When the three cross paths, they will change everything. Sarah Crossan's thrilling and provocative novel is about passion, about yearning for something better, and about breaking free for the very first time. The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books proclaims it an "action-packed dystopian series opener to watch out for."

(May contain spoilers) 

Another dystopian. What can I say. I love dystopian books. But they seemed to get a bit repetitive. I needed one that was new and fresh. This book was not the best I've read. Too plain, not enough background and world building. This wouldn't be too memorable, it would be forgotten soon after. The plot itself is actually quite good. The author put another meaning in it which was the tree element. Letting us know how important they are. Oxygen, air is so natural we often forget about it. But what if we didn't have it? Such a simple thing can effect us so much. SAVE THE TREES. The whole book was like a train ride. A smooth train ride, without many bumps and hills along the way. Not much of a climax and super interesting parts. 

Lets talk about the characters. None of them truly appealed to me. Alina and Quinn annoyed me the most. The way Alina treated Quinn, her decisions, just her personality wasn't too great and applause worthy. Now Quinn. Where do I start. I have a best friend who's a girl but I don't like her and I don't notice that she likes me either. Oh hot damn, that girl has a nice ass. I think I'll start liking her now. She treats me like crap but it's okay, I still like her. Now I notice Bea, so I guess I should kiss her. No, just no. Bea. She's not bad to be honest, but she's such a flat character I don't have much to say about her. 

So summery of this book. Not too memorable, but hey, I finished it so that's good. It wasn't the best but fans of dystopian would like it. I'm not sure I'll read the next book but I'll keep an eye out.

3/5 stars
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By Seo Blogger Templates Published.. Blogger Templates