Saturday 7 September 2013

Review: The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells



The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells
Published by Sourcebooks Fire
Released: June 1st, 2010
Paperback, 295 pages
Source: Library
Reviewed by Angela
 
There Are Some Summers You'll Always Remember

Sometimes I wake up shivering in the early hours of the morning, drowning in dreams of being out there in the ocean that summer, of looking up at the moon and feeling as invisible and free as a fish. But I'm jumping ahead, and to tell the story right I have to go back to the beginning. To a place called Indigo Beach. To a boy with pale skin that glowed against the dark waves. To the start of something neither of us could have predicted, and which would mark us forever, making everything that came after and before seem like it belonged to another life.

My name is Mia Gordon: I was sixteen years old, and I remember everything.

(May contain spoilers)

This book messes with your emotions big time. It's not even funny. 

I knew before I started this book, that it's going to be surprising? That it will give you mixed feelings? Anyways it starts out fine, interesting, then the whole world crumbles. The title gives you a feeling that it's all fluffy and rainbows. Haha no. At all. It reaches deep issues, life and society.

Mia. She's a very relatable character. Mia and Corinne have been best friends but they haven't seen each other for three years. So when the long anticipated summer comes, Mia sees Corinne has changed. In a good way? Not so much. Life is now all about high society, parties, and suddenly Mia feels like she doesn't fit in. Though she feels like she doesn't fit in, she still tries. Because that's how humans work. Always wanting to be in with the crowd, not standing out and fitting in. And this is where Simon comes in. An "LC" who's looked down upon by Corinne and her friends. I really liked Simon, he wasn't those perfect guys. He had flaws, family problems, and that's what made him real. Slowly, after an interesting encounter, a friendship blooms between them. Midnight swims and walks turn into something more. 

In the beginning or the first three quarters of the book, I pretty much hated everyone. Mia's mom was unsupportive and stuck up, her sister was a little brat, Corinne was a shallow B, Beth was also shallow and weak, Gen pissed me off especially. The people I actually liked was her dad and Aunt Kathleen. But this book is all about illusions. Appearances and how fake everything is. 

The ending. Just. Crushed. Me. I really loved this book, the title fits so well with the story. This is honestly one of the best summer books I've read.

5/5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By Seo Blogger Templates Published.. Blogger Templates