Saturday 30 November 2013

Review: Legend by Marie Lu


Legend by Marie Lu
Published by Putnam Juvenile
Released: November 29th 2011
Hardcover, 305 pages
Reviewed by Zoe
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Synopsis from GoodReads
 
Review:

Okay. I admit it, I'm physic. Sort of ish... I can already tell that you think/will think since I'm mentioning this: it’s cliché. But in all honesty, it is so far from that. This book description might not have caught you're attention straight away, but trust me, it is so much more than this tiny finite book jacket could ever describe. 
 
This story is a thriller with a side dish of romance. Legend is fast-paced action, and as I read the first line I was already intrigued. “My mother thinks I’m dead” and that was what set me off. I finished that book, and read it another 2 more times. :)
 
What I love about this book (and the others in the trilogy- more reviews to come) is that it’s written from both Day’s and June’s POV. I envy Marie Lu for her ability to write so well for both a guy and a girl so interchangeably! I especially like that Day is the more caring character, or at least you can tell he is (because you're in his POV). And I like that June is the one that sometimes talks harshly, and sometimes doesn't know when, or how to be kind with her actions and words. She's the one that is always stone faced, the person who shuts out her emotions so well. June's just secretive. Private. For some reason, she reminds me of a sponge. She's constantly thinking, strategizing, making plans- and when she finally comes up with a solution that she cannot give away, she just soaks that knowledge up, hides it, before it spills over and shows her secrets. Another thing: June is unlike many characters in YA books like Divergent, Obsidian, Half-Blood, etc. She's the badass (well I think so) while usually the guys are badass, and emotionless, tall, dark, handsome, older than main character... you get my message. They’re the ones who keep their "forbidden emotions" and "feelings" hidden (although none last all too long). It's not a bad thing, but just gets old. Don't you think? In any case, I like June, and how Marie Lu portrays her. June is not only smart (but of course the main character would be), and somewhat arrogant, but also a brilliant fighter. She can look after herself, that's for sure, and that's one of the things I love in a protagonist. I'm always on the look out for books with a strong heroine. ;)

Legend focuses more on the problems surrounding Day, but personally I liked June better in this novel. If you haven’t read this book already, READ IT. I am telling you, it is so totally worth your time. And once you are done that, read Prodigy, the second installment. This book was definitely an OMG.
Yours truly,
Zoe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By Seo Blogger Templates Published.. Blogger Templates