Saturday 28 June 2014

Victoria's Review: Looking For Alaska by John Green

99561
Looking for Alaska
By: John Green 
Published by: Speak
3.5/5 Stars
Victoria's review

Sypnosis

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.

Sypnosis from Goodreads

Review

I was SOOO looking forward to reading this and had pretty high expectations since it's John Green book. I've looked at the reviews on Goodreads and it's kind of a love it or hate it book to me. I am sorry John Green fans (this is my own personal opinion), because I do not like this book (WAIIIT! HOLD YOUR RAGE) nor do I hate this book. It was kind of in between.

Ok so the story of how I got my hands on this book was that I was shopping around. And then I saw a Chapters and was like LET'S GO SEE WHAT THEY HAVE!! So I went in having only read The Fault in Our Stars at the time and browsed around. The sales associate actually recommended this book to me so I went ahead and purchased it. The sales associate actually told me that all the pranks described in the book, John Green actually did. So I was kind of excited to start reading it. 

And a couple weeks later, school ended and I figured it was a good time to start reading it. So I was a few pages in and was so bored, nothing really EXCITING happened (well something did, I'll get to that in a bit). It was kind of a slow steady pace the whole entire time. But I do have to admit I had a few chuckles here and there, especially the last prank in the novel. 

Alright, something did happen in the book, I don't want to spoil it for you fellow readers. But I was TOTALLY not expecting it, I expected something else to happen. I was like OK PLOT TWIST (kind of) because I expected something WAY different. Yeah John Green, you kind of killed me a little with that. And that mystery problem near the end... WOW, because there was a lot of foreshadowing throughout the whole book. 

Right after I finished reading the Before part of the book and started reading the After part this was me: 
gif link

The whole story was basically about teenagers and their friendship with one another as well as relationships. How one befriends someone and how close they can be until something terrible happens, and what to make of it when it does happen. How friends can be there for each other and to support one another. How to forgive and slowly forget. In other words: this book was deeep.  

But anyway, I wasn't as captivated by this book as I thought I would be. Took me awhile to finish it. I heard they're gonna make a movie out of it and we'll see how that goes. 

-Victoria




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By Seo Blogger Templates Published.. Blogger Templates