Tuesday 25 March 2014

Review: World After by Susan Ee



18071466
 World After by Susan Ee
Published by Skyscape
Released: November 19th 2013
Paperback314 pages
FIVE STARS
Angela's Thoughts

In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?

Summery from Goodreads



Thoughts:


*cue the whining* I WANT MOOORRRREEEEEEEEEEEE.

no, seriously. this has GOT to be the fastest book ive ever read. I just flew through it. I opened it, then about five seconds later, I was finished (im only exaggerating a little bit). so you know, I NEED MORE. NOW.

I liked this just as much as the first one, but my gut instinct tells me to give this one a four (I suspect its the lack of Raffe but whatever)(nah, loved it too much. gave it a five :D). Everything is so KICK ASS, especially Penryn. One of my favourite heroines. Raffe was missing basically 4/5 the time which I was NOT okay with. NOT. AT. ALL. but when he came in, I kind of died a little. The world building is so great and realistic.

World After is fast paced with non stop action. It's like this gun that keeps shooting green skittles (my favourite), other types of candy (I kinda have a thing for candy if you didn't know) and all kinds of cavity loving things at me that I have to stop everything I'm doing to catch it all until it finishes shooting. That was possibly the worst metaphor ever given. I apologize.

I LOOOOOOVED the flash back scenes where Penryn saw the world through Raffe when they first met, etc. (?) Sometimes, it's SO HARD to understand why a mighty, attractive, being (angel in this example) would be drawn to a mere girl. When it comes to other books, hell, it doesn't even make sense.
Girl: Oh, I'm so boring and plain and I'm not even pretty and I need you to save me every single day because I'm just so useless.
Guy: OH, THATS ALRIGHT. I LOVE YOU JUST THE WAY YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE JUST SO DARN EXTRAORDINARY EVEN WHEN YOU SAY YOU'RE NOT.
I don't understand. 凸-.-凸 It was described so, WHATS THE WORD. Anyways I could connect with Raffe and see Penryn through his eyes and why he liked her. It's written so perfectly I was going to cry. Both Penryn and Raffe are such great characters, they're so three dimensional, and their connection so REEEEAAL. <3

I almost died when Raffe asked about the name of his sword which Penryn named. I was having a major laugh attack, oh man.

“Have you named her yet?” he asks. “She likes powerful names so maybe you could appease her by giving her a good one.”
I bite my lip as I remember telling Dee-Dum what I named my sword. “Um, I could rename her anything she likes.” I give him a cheesy smile.
He looks like he’s bracing himself for the worst. “She gets named once by each carrier. If you’ve named her, she’s stuck with it for as long as she’s with you.”
Damn.
He glares at me as if he already hates it. “What is it?”
I consider lying but what’s the point? I clear my throat. “Pooky Bear.”
He’s silent for so long I’m beginning to think he didn’t hear me when he finally says, “Pooky. Bear.”
“It was just a little joke. I didn’t know.”
“I’ve mentioned that names have power, right? Do you realize that when she fights battles, she’s going to have to announce herself to the opposing sword? She’ll be forced to say something ridiculous like, ‘I am Pooky Bear, from an ancient line of archangel swords.’ Or, ‘Bow down to me, Pooky Bear, who has only two other equals in all the worlds.’ ”
Pooky Bear. Oh god. Dying with laughter.

There are three more books after this. Three. More. Books. Let that sink in...okay start screaming. I was honestly so afraid while reading this that it was going to be a trilogy. There's so much more GREATNESS that could be told, and three books just ain't enough. Whew. But 2015. The wait might kill me before it comes out. I think my heart is being ripped to shrilly shreds just thinking about it. *dies*

This isn't really a "review" and more of a reaction and a list of things I loved about this book. Well, I loved everything so go read the book. I'm not going to write a "review" either because I don't feel the need to, really. Basically, Susan Ee is AWESOME, and so is Angelfall and World After. If you don't read these books, it's like you're throwing cake away. Now why in the whole freaking world would you ever do that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By Seo Blogger Templates Published.. Blogger Templates