Tuesday 11 March 2014

Review: The F-It List by Julie Halpern



The F-It List by Julie Halpern
Published by Feiwel & Friends
Released: November 12nd, 2013
256 Pages, Hardcover
Reviewed by Angela

 
 With her signature heart and humor, Julie Halpern explores a strained friendship strengthened by one girl’s battle with cancer.

Alex’s father recently died in a car accident. And on the night of his funeral, her best friend Becca slept with Alex’s boyfriend. So things aren’t great. Alex steps away from her friendship with Becca and focuses on her family.

But when Alex finally decides to forgive Becca, she finds out something that will change her world again—Becca has cancer.

So what do you do when your best friend has cancer? You help her shave her head. And then you take her bucket list and try to fulfill it on her behalf. Because if that’s all you can do to help your ailing friend—you do it.


Summery from GoodReads

Review(ish):

When I read the synopsis of this, I was basically jumping for joy because I found the perfect book. Good plotline, theme, and it just seemed like a perfect quick read. Not.

Look. I didn't even finish this book. I couldn't. You see, I was in this post traumatized reading slump, and I picked up this book hoping it get me back into reading. It seemed cute, short and the thing about bucket list ya know. I wanted to read this. And like it. Ugh.

Don't get me wrong, I like my female protagonists to be badass and rebellious but Alex was just so...not? Yes she was "witty" and "badass" but to a laughable degree. She's so immature and the constant cursing got really annoying. I don't mind when people or books cuss but SERIOUSLY? Use curse words when there is a use for it. Say it with a reason. But when you regularly use it because of habit, in every single fking sentence it gets really fking annoying. Do you fking get me? Is this really fking annoying? I get how some people use it a lot, but ITS WITHIN REASON. You don't just go up to a tree or a banana and be like "fck".

Overall, I didn't like the characters, the writing, (I can't really elaborate more because I returned the book already) and how the plot was executed. The plot itself had potential. If there were another book with the same plot line, I would read it. But how the plot in the book was portrayed, I didn't like it.

Recommendation: no.

Rating: 2/5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By Seo Blogger Templates Published.. Blogger Templates