Tuesday 25 March 2014

Review: Vain by Fisher Amelie

Vain by fisher Ameile
Self Published
Released: February 7th 2013
(first published Dec 24th 2012)
Paperback, 390 pages
Rating: FIVE STARS
Reviewed by Lilyan (:

If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.

Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.
I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

Synopsis from Goodreads


REVIEW:

I did not expect that this book would be so interesting or that I would like the protagonist so much. It was refreshing.

This story isn't just a typical love story. It was so much more than that. It's about understanding which things in life are actually worth fighting for, and that altruistic actions go a long way. 

This story is about a girl. Who's rich, spoiled, thinks the whole world should bow down to her, and well.. vain.

"I ruled because I was the hottest. You see, I'm one of the beautiful people." 

She thinks she can get away with anything. Until the night she gets caught for her second drug offence. The judge arranges for her to spend six months in a Uganda at an orphanage. She is horrified.

She's totally out of her element. She's never been anywhere so remote and different, never mind having to actually work. Despite her flaws, she isn't stupid or ditzy. She only craves attention so much because attention = adoration. Which is the closest thing she was come to love. Her mother and father are distant. They're always gone on business trips and when they are home, they don't talk. She even has her own wing in their house, opposite of her parents. When they do talk, it's when other clients come and they put up the image that they are a happy, seemingly perfect family, with an obedient daughter. Her father pays her to come to dinner parties and to keep up appearances. She wants to run leave her home behind and start anew. But she needs the money, she was no idea how to support herself.

"I absently recognized that that was the first physical contact I'd had with my father in more than six months." 

So when she finds out she needs to go to Africa she is scared. She doesn't want to admit it but she's scared. Spencer, one of her only real friends, tries to keep her happy and console her. He and Sophie have the some problem. He wants to break the cycle and get out of his family business, He wants to peruse something different. I absolutely adored Spencer.

Something about him caused Sophie to think twice about her actions. 

"...sent that secret thrill though my stomach again, but it was short-lived by that nagging sense of guilt. What is wrong with me?" 

When Sophie arrived in africa and met Dingane ( or Ian ) for the first time, I laughed so much. I could tell I already liked him. Sophie and Ian's interaction was really interesting to read. It was beautiful so see their relationship morph into something so strong and touching. Ian looked right past her "perfectness" and saw her for who she is. Even in the beginning. I loved watching it all unfold. It was gradual and not the "omg i love you from the first day" thing. And it was great. 

“It’ll be all right,” Ian assured me.

“How do you know?” I asked when he revved the engine.
“I don’t,” he said, “but I’ll protect you.” 

and also:

"My eyes closed when he pulled the bands holding both braids and they slipped off into his hands, His fingers deftly freed both plaits painfully slowly all the way to the top of my head. finally, I felt his fingers sift through the length to the ends.

"It's the favorite part of my day."

My eyes opened lazily. "What do you mean?" I whispered.

"When you undo them and run your hands throughout the waves. That my favorite part of the day."

AND ALSO, LET'S TALK ABOUT HOW HE SWEEPS THE SHOWERS FOR SOPHIE SO THERE AREN'T ANY BUGS LEFT WHEN SHE SHOWERS. *swoon*

Now, let's get serious. My heart clenched for all the children suffering. It's one thing reading about it on the news but it's another, when you're getting information from an emotional stand point, watching it all unravel in your mind. 

I remember the KONY 2012 thing. I remember watching the 30 minute long video on what was happening to all the children and their families. I felt so small at that moment. i think that's when I started wanting to be a human rights activist or just someone who could help the east be a better place. I'll get there someday. 

I loved how Fisher Amelie could just entwine fiction and things that are actually happening. My heart broke even further when Ian was explaining who Joseph Kony was and that he was the reason why all these children were orphans. 

It amazes me how strong those kids are, to wake up everyday and try to put a smile on their face and sing and laugh and do whatever normal kids do.

Sophie definitely felt the same way. She realized there were so many more pressing problems than having a bad hair day. Throughout the book something grew within her, she opened up her heart for the children and their cause. She planned to rebuild the orphanage and she noticed the small things she took for granted.

Pembrook, Sophie's attorney and her father's assistant, treats Sophie more like a daughter than her father does. But she doesn't realize how important Pemmy is to her and how much he does to help her until then. Sophie learns and sees things differently and she learned to be thankful.


"Thank you Pemmy. I appreciate it." Silence defended over the phone and I was afraid I'd lost him. "Pembrook? Are you there? I think I lost him," I told Ian's questioning face.

"No-no, I'm here. I'm here. You've just never said that before."

"What?" I asked, confused.

"That you appreciate me."

"Well that's a shame," I told him sincerely, "because I do. I always have. I'm sorry."
 


Aside from a typos/grammatical errors, this book was basically perfect. It was moving and there no dull moments. All the characters had a purpose. This is a one sitting kind of novel. I liked to book from the start, and just got better and better. Read it, it's worth your time.

- Lilyan


No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By Seo Blogger Templates Published.. Blogger Templates